Saturday 24 March 2018

What I have learned with React Native in 1 Month

Hello again, so this post about what have I learned with React Native within 1 month.

1. I Always Thought RN is the Future but don't know How to Start. 

I am a long time iOS app developer. I studied iOS since I was in university, back then, I learned by myself, with book. I realized that the process was super slow. But I managed to published a simple quiz app on the App Store, then I work on a local company on pursue to develop more iOS apps and related technologies.

Fast forward, I learned stuff related like Laravel, Android, and UI/UX design with Sketch and Illustrator. I learn little Ionic, and now should I jump into React Native. With the help of community, I jumped in. It's was not easy when I learn it casually. I searched for the complete video tutorials. And write and listen to it completely.

I finally can grasp the essense of RN. It felt so good too.

Well another think is I think RN is good for client work. And to help people to develop apps for iOS and Android without developer too much hassle to maintain it.

2. Redux is Hard

The paradigm is different. With iOS I learn MVC, singleton, notifications, app delegate and so on.

With RN I got Redux. Not only that, there is redux-thunk, redux-persist, lodash. All that JavaScript libraries goodness.


3. Expo is Slow

I tried expo and not suitable with my workflow. Plus it's seems limited for any other library. And not customizable as it doesn't provide iOS projects.

4. Firebase First

Being a developer, and develop just RN can take so much time, so I decide to move fast with Firebase. It helps me to develop apps that need server faster. If the project is large, so then I should code with connecting with custom server.

5. React Navigation

This is the way to go for developing apps.

6. Native Base

I haven't touched so much on this, but to make app looks good enough, use this kind of libraries.

7. Icons Images 

I didn't notice that to put an local image can be so much pain. And using vector library you have to use link. React-native 'your libs' link. What it does is to add appropriate stuff into Xcode or Android Studio project to make it compatible.

8. JavaScript 

I have to jump into learning JavaScript more deeply especially to understand the nitty gritty about React Native itself with JavaScript. You know about state and props.

9. Yarn All away around

I just dismiss the npm for yarn. I found out using yarn better, and had no issue so far.


10. It's Not that Easy

To be working with something new and foreign. Things usually don't come right at first. It can be stressful, feeling not knowing so much. So having community support is good to get the motivation and keep moving.

11. Visual Studio Code Helps

Microsoft creates this cool editor called 'Code', which is an code editor that can add cool plugin that helps you write RN better and less pain and less stress. Try it to believe it.

Conclusion.

I love the outcome of what I do with programming. I know it's hard to do with programming and all little words that one of my friends called it 'cacing' (worms). Haha, it's can be hurt or can inspire you that all the codes you make is not everyone can write. The ones that have brainpower can do. Actually it's hard to do coding when you are not well, when you are stressed. So the sanity is required to write code.

RN is pretty delicate and i urge to learn from master so that you can be less stressful and can do more with less time. Really, I am keep learning because I am just learn it for just 1 month only.





No comments:

Post a Comment